Stafford Castle Golf Club – more than 100 years of golf
The Golf Course land has been in the Stafford family since 1086. The Golf Club takes its name from the slightly forlorn ruins that can be seen from the golf course. The Castle, which was built by the Normans in 1100AD, can be seen for miles and is a symbol of the town. It was originally built by Robert de Toeni, (later known as Robert of Stafford) in the Norman period and has dominated the skyline for over 900 years.
In the years shortly after the Norman invasion of 1066, William the Conqueror is believed to have ordered defences to be built against a still hostile and rebellious native community. The fortunes of the castle and its owners, the Stafford family, ﬂuctuated greatly. An impressive example of the motte and bailey system, Stafford Castle enjoyed mixed fortunes throughout the medieval period.
Stafford is steeped in history and dates back to 700BC, iron age man settled here because of its rich mineral deposits and vast forests. Things have changed since then in terms of the surrounding countryside. A large forest still exists to the southeast (Cannock Chase) but the rest consists of mainly farmland, marsh and meadow. A great deal of Iron-age and Roman evidence survives in Stafford and the surrounding area, however much of Stafford’s history between 900bc – 800ad is unknown. In the 9th century, Stafford played a central part in the build up of the pottery industry in the Staffordshire area. The early 10th century was dominated by the war against the invading Danes. Aethelﬂaed, the daughter of King Alfred of Wessex fortiﬁed the area and held the Danes back. Her success was largely due to the surrounding marshes and dry hills. The marshes later gave name to the town, Staith Ford, ‘ford’ by a ‘staithe’ (landing place).